"I've never done anything illegal," Bossier City Councilman Chubby Knight told KSLA.
Not so, says the Bossier City Police Department and the 26th JDC District Attorney.
The Police Department began their investigation when the bank that cashed the bogus check for Knight filed a complaint.
Knight’s attorney said that they know who is behind this ‘political vendetta’ to get Knight, but he’s not telling. According to the Times, the attorney said "This is all driven by the Bossier power bosses . . . . that machine wants you to know if you cross it, ... it will erase you, even your memory."
I don’t know how the big boys plan to erase the memory of Knight, but I’m interested to see.
In order to believe the conspiracy theory, you have to believe that:
- Knight, after spending years in business and retiring back to Bossier City, could not recognize this scam when he saw it.
- That he had no suspicion that the check was fraudulent, even though he took it to three different banks before getting it cashed.
- That the ‘political machine’ influenced a Bossier City detective to work up the case against Knight.
- That the police chief, Shane McWilliams, was involved in the conspiracy against Knight. I can assure you that the detective did not present the case to the DA without the approval of the chief.
- That the DA joined in the conspiracy with the detective and the chief.
- You have to believe that Knight’s attorney knows who is behind the conspiracy, he’s just not willing to tell anyone.
Who pulled the strings and got the detective, the chief and the DA to play along? Or is this just a publicity stunt to get Knight and his attorney in front of the cameras?