Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Veterans Day Thank You

First of all, to everyone who served, thank you.
To all in the area who have served, thank you. The first one to come to mind after the terrible news yesterday is 19 year old Dakota Huse of Greenwood, who was killed in Afghanistan Tuesday after an improvised bomb exploded near him. The young Marine made the ultimate sacrifice for his country.
The next to come to mind is Andy’s son Dean who is in the Air Force and will be leaving soon for Afghanistan. God bless you and be with you Dean.
To everyone else who has served: Mayor Lo Walker, thank you sir.
People who comment on My Bossier whom I know have served, G.R. and DieHardDano – thank you both.
To Sammy Wyatt, thank you.
To Andy’s other son Phillip and to my grandson Tyler who both serve in the reserves, thank you. I certainly haven’t meant to leave anyone out, and I know there are a lot of you out there. These were just a few that came to mind.
Two of my special heroes when I was a kid were my two older brothers.
The oldest joined the army when I was 5 years old. He was on a troop ship to Korea when the truce was signed on July 27, 1953. He was serving in Germany in 1956 when our dad died from a heart attack. It was tough on him, he couldn’t come home even though as the oldest, he felt responsible for the family.
That’s the way it worked back then.
Dixie Lewis Wells Jr 1935-1968
In 1957, when I was 10 years old, my other brother joined the marines. He stayed in for 10 years, settled in Southern California where he lives today. He was here for a visit last month. We had a great time, mostly talking LSU football.  Even though he lives right in the big middle of USC country, he has never wavered from his love of the Tigers.
John David Wells

3 comments:

  1. Fine looking men, Jimbo! Thanks for the kind wishes and blessings for my son. I have great admiration for ALL that have served. Thanks for honoring them today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    Thank You for remembering.

    G. R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jim. My thoughts and prayers are with all who have served our wonderful country, and who are currently serving now. May God keep all of them safe!

    ReplyDelete

Rules of the road:
1. No personal attacks or insults.
2. No accustory statements about wrongdoing or criminal acts against anyone.
3. Say all you want about the pros and cons concerning the candidates and the issues, or the general subject of the blog post, just follow Rule #1 and Rule #2.