Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Star Spangled Banner

Preparing for July 4th, just some facts.
The Star Spangled Banner was recognized for official use by the Navy in 1889 and by President Wilson in 1916, but did not become our National Anthem until 1931. Hail Columbia usually was played at official functions before 1931, as well as My Country ‘Tis of Thee.
Here the National Anthem is performed by “The President’s Own”, the U. S. Marine Band. This is the way it should sound.



When it is sung, it should be sung like this. It is the National Anthem, not a song for various and sundry country, rock, rap & hip hop ‘artists’ to butcher.
Sing this song properly and with respect!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Jim, maybe I've officially earned old fogey status, but it bugs the crud out of me to hear the National Anthem "stylized."

    I don't care if it's a pop singer, or rap, or country singer. I can't even remember who it was now, but a couple of years ago some young black lady singer was about to sing the Anthem before a big event on TV.

    I thought, "here we go." I wish I could remember who it was now, because it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever heard. She didn't goof around with it. She didn't drag out the ending & try to show off her blues skills. She just sang the thing with respect.

    That's the way it ought to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sing this song properly and with respect!" THANK YOU!! I hate it when the Star Spangled Banner gets 'urbanized'. I can't stand urban yodeling or any other 'stylization'.

    ReplyDelete

Rules of the road:
1. No personal attacks or insults.
2. No accustory statements about wrongdoing or criminal acts against anyone.
3. Say all you want about the pros and cons concerning the candidates and the issues, or the general subject of the blog post, just follow Rule #1 and Rule #2.