Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mothers

On Mother's Day we pay homage to our mothers, and show our love for them - both the living and the dead.
My mother left us in 2005 at the age of 89, just three months shy of her 90th birthday. She lived a long full life and left a lot of wonderful memories.
This isn't dedicated only to her.
Unfortunately, some are taken before it seems to us that it should be their time. Life and death aren't up to us, however; we only propose, but God disposes as he sees fit.
I am blessed with two very special people in my life, my daughter-in-law and my son-in-law, both of whom have lost their mothers. Chris's mom Nancy passed away in 2006, and Monica's mom Joyce left us in 2008.
This is dedicated to my mother, their mothers, and all of the other wonderful mothers who have shaped our lives.

if there are any heavens my mother will (all by herself) have
one. It will not be a pansy heaven nor
a fragile heaven of lilies-of-the-valley but
it will be a heaven of blackred roses.

my father will be (deep like a rose
tall like a rose)

standing near my

(swaying over her silent)
with eyes which are really petals and see

nothing with the face of a poet really which
is a flower and not a face with
hands
which whisper
This is my beloved my

(suddenly in sunlight
he will bow,
& the whole garden will bow)

e.e. cummings



Top: Mary Louise Wells
Middle: Joyce Martinez (Monica's mother)
Bottom: Nancy Austin (Chris's mother)
To all the mothers who read this, a very well-deserved Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

  1. That was touching, Jim. I don't think I've ever read that poem. Thanks. I've still got my Mother, and certainly dread the day that I won't. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papa..I just read this and when I didn't think I could love you more, you proved me wrong. Thank you for honoring my mother. I miss her terribly and this meant more to me than you will ever know. I love you.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, Joyce is very deserving of that honor. I've written more and erased it about three times, so I'll leave it there, that speaks for itself.
    I love you too and I'm glad that we're family.

    ReplyDelete

Rules of the road:
1. No personal attacks or insults.
2. No accustory statements about wrongdoing or criminal acts against anyone.
3. Say all you want about the pros and cons concerning the candidates and the issues, or the general subject of the blog post, just follow Rule #1 and Rule #2.